Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Messy Eating

One thing is for certain with an eclectus. They are messy messy eaters. They will fling food on your walls, floors, ceiling, their cage, and anything else within flinging distance. Afterward they will clean their  beak on their cage bars or perches.

Some new owners are not aware of a mess they can make with their food and it can be messy. I curb the messiness using a cube or a wide dish when he is fed out of the cage. A wide dish is advised for their fruits & veggies. As they like to pick through their food to find their favorite food to eat first. If the dish is to little they will toss the food out of the bowl when picking through their food.

Another handy gadget is a food cube which can be made or purchased. This contains food mess to one area and makes for easy clean up. It also keeps food off cage floors. If they do toss food out you can just slide the bottom catch piece out and collect the food as put it back in their bowls (as long as they have not pooped on it LOL) The food cube can be hung in your cage or the outside of the cage or you can put it on the kitchen counter in the AM for them to eat on and later easily move the cube to the cage when its time to go off to work.

I love the cube its such a life saver, it keeps my cage, its bars, perches, toys, floors, walls and everything else food splatter free.



As you can see the cube has its own perch and yes he cleans that beak on it after his meal LOL. It also has 3 bowls. One is water and the 2 other bowls are for moist food. This little gadget also is made for corner cages. If you are handy at making things you can make this little handy gadget. However, I did not make this I purchased it online.

Later on I will talk about eclectus diet. Please keep in mind I will share what I feed and do not feed my birds. I do not judge and will not jump on others for what they feed their birds. Its simply not my business. I do not know everything and my postings are to reflect a healthy diet for the eclectus. I learned a lot from my mother who owned a healthy eclectus for over 30 years,  as well as a knowledge breeder that has hand reared eclectus for over 20 years and lets not forget my vet ( I do trust my vet as she is an eclectus owner, one must becareful as not all exotic vets are hip on eclectus). I only state this as many people have many different views and opinions on what an eclectus should or should not eat and diet can be a  very controversial subject. There is a lot of good information on the net as well as a lot of misguided information. I made this blog to inform and provide good healthy information for the eclectus. However, life is always about learning and I learn something new every single day.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment